Massage therapy is the scientific, purposeful manipulation of the soft tissues of the body by a trained and licensed massage therapist. It consists primarily of manual techniques such as applying fixed or movable pressure, holding, and moving muscles and body tissues.
Benefits of massage therapy
Massage therapy is recommended for its documented clinical benefits. These benefits include
- Increases joint and limb flexibility and range of motion
- Increases ease and efficiency of movement
- Reduces muscle tension and stiffness
- Relieves muscle spasms
- Relieves points of tension and overall stress
- Promotes deeper and easier breathing
- Relieves tension-related headaches and eyestrain
- Reduces pain and swelling related to injuries
- Improves blood circulation and movement of lymph
- Enhances health and nourishment of skin
- Reduces the formation of scars following soft tissue injuries
- Improves posture by changing tension patterns that affect posture
- Promotes feelings of well-being
- Reduces emotional or physical stress and reduces anxiety
- Increases awareness of the connection between mind and body and improves mental awareness and alertness
Types of massage therapy
There are different types of massages that focus on different parts of the body. A massage therapist is well trained, and specializes in their field of treatment. The benefits of these types of massages differ from one another. The benefit of the therapy is reaped when the treatment is taken under a licensed massage therapist. The different types of massage therapy include
- Swedish massage: is a gentle kind of full-body massage ideal for people who are new to massage and have a lot of tension. It helps release muscle knots and is suitable for people who are sensitive to touch. The motions, vibration and tapping, and passive joint movement techniques.
- Hot stone massage: is more suitable for people who have muscle pain and tension. It helps ease muscle tension, improve blood flow, alleviate pain, promote relaxation and relieve stress. In this massage, heated stones are placed on different areas around your whole body.
- Aromatherapy massage: is best suited for people who want to have an emotional healing component to their massage. It helps boost the mind, reduce stress and anxiety, reduce symptoms of depression, relieve muscle tension and relieve pain. Aromatherapy massages uses a combination of essential oils and soft, gentle pressure.
- Therapeutic Massage: is stimulating, soothing and helps relieves stress. It helps to create an inner balance and harmony. It is used to assist in the treatment of most musculoskeletal and associated problems.
- Deep tissue massage: licensed massage therapist will apply specific techniques and the right amount of pressure that gives a lot of relief from chronic pain. Deep tissue massage breaks down scar tissue and gets the blood circulating.
- Sports massage: can be undertaken as a full-body massage or focus on the parts of the body that need the most attention. Deep pressure is applied, alternated with soothing strokes depending on the need.
- Trigger point massage: is best suited for injuries, chronic pain, or a specific issue or condition. This type of massage can reduce pain by focusing on trigger points.
- Myofascial release: focuses on pain believed to arise from the tough membranes that wrap, connect and support the muscles.
- Manual lymphatic drainage: is a gentle and unique type of skin massage technique performed by a licensed massage therapist. This treatment promotes lymph to drain out of a limb into an area that drains normally.
- Reflexology: is best suited for people who are looking to relax and restore their natural energy levels.
- Prenatal massage: a safe way for women to get a massage during pregnancy. It is performed by a licensed massage therapist in centers that specialize in massage therapy like Tampa Massage Clinic. This therapy focuses on areas such as lower back, hips, and legs.
- Other massages include Shiatsu massage, Thai massage, Pediatric massage Couple’s massage and Chair massage.
There are several massage therapies that decrease the level of stress and helps in relaxation such as Aromatherapy and Swedish massage.
At the Tampa Massage Clinic, located in Tampa, Florida, nothing is more important than human touch. To schedule an appointment with Licensed Massage Therapist and Certified Pediatric Massage Instructor, Jakki Bosco LMT, please call (813) 298-5603.
Serving patients in and around greater Tampa Bay, Town N Country, Clearwater, St. Pete, Carrollwood, East Lake, Westchase, Land O Lakes, Wesley Chapel, Lutz, University of South Florida, Brandon, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Dundin, Hillsborough County, and Pasco County Florida.